Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A pepper concoction

When I were a little kid, I used to fall sick quite frequently because of one or the other infections of tonsils. Some of the well-knowledged relatives of my parents would advise them on putting me on special esoteric treatment with spices, mostly ginger, turmeric, black pepper and the likes. Naturally when I were daubed with an evil spice concoction that can cause scalding, I would protest 'loudly' even in my weak state.

But I will not deny that a spiced tea is good for soothing sore throat. So here I am, suffering another sore threat episode and I wanted ginger tea. But unfortunately I didn't have any ginger root or powder. So I ended up concocting a different tea.

This is how to concoct it. Boil less than a pinch of black pepper in a cup of water on a sauce pan over the stove top. Add a teaspoon of black leaf tea(not the pellets) to the boiling water, and allow the tea to steep for a couple of minutes. Strained the tea and pour it to a cup. Add a spoon of lemon juice(optional) and a spoon of honey. Enjoy the soothing hot pepper tea!

2 comments:

Hammy said...

A recipe for sore throat? Well, DJ, that’s yet another role you’re playing. DJ, the doctor.

I’ll try it the next time. Every time I have a sore throat, I wail and moan until my parents and my brother can’t stand it any more. After that, I wail some more.

They make me the traditional salt solution to gargle with, but I’m sorry… I don’t like it. This prescription, however, sounds like it’s fun. Hey, it’s got honey. I’m in.

hamishjoy.com

dj said...

lol, you should try this one as it is very mild, although the traditional tea for sore throat contains more spices and lemon and less sugar and hard to swallow considering the temperature. ;-)